Acupuncture is a form of traditional Chinese medicine that originated 5,000 years ago from China. Its belief is based on the belief that all living things have a vital energy called “qi” that circulates through the twelve invisible energy lines called meridians on the body. As a rule, each meridian is connected to a certain organ system in the body. If there is an imbalance in the flow of the energy or “qi” though a meridian, this could result to a disease.
Understanding how acupuncture treatments in Miami works can be based in numerous theories and here are some of the theories:
- It is believed that acupuncture stimulates the release of pain-relieving endorphins.
- A theory states that acupuncture influences the release of neurotransmitters which are substances that transmit nerve impulses to the brain.
- The autonomic nervous system is also influenced by acupuncture.
- Acupuncture stimulates blood circulation.
- Acupuncture affects the electrical currents of the body.
Acupuncture has many health benefits and there are studies that show they can treat certain health conditions like, backaches, migraines, sinusitis, common cold, smoking addiction, tennis elbow, arthritis, menstrual cramps, low back pain, asthma, infertility and weight loss.
Many of you might be imagining what a typical acupuncture treatment is like. Before you can set up an appointment, you will be required to complete a health history questionnaire. The acupuncturists will interview you about your primary health concern, diet, lifestyle habits, menstrual cycle if you are female, emotions, temperature, sleep, appetite, sensitivity to food and seasons. The acupuncturist will generally examine after the interview, noting your face color, tongue color and coating. Aside from that the acupuncturists will also assess the three pulse points at the wrist of each hand to determine the health of the twelve meridians.
After the examination and the interview, the acupuncturists will then give their diagnosis and begin the treatment. During the treatment, the acupuncturists will use six to 12 needles. The intensity of the treatment is not based on the number of needles used but it is rather the placement of the needles that is significant.
Since this involves the insertion of needles, you may feel a slight sting or prickling sensation. But once the needles are inserted, there should be no pain. The treatment process should make you feel comfortable instead of pain, numbness and discomfort. If these instances do arise, notify your acupuncturist immediately.
The treatment process usually lasts from seconds to longer than one hour. It usually takes about 20 to 30 minutes to complete one acupuncture session. During the treatment, the acupuncturists can use the following techniques like:
- Moxibustion- This is the heating of needles with dried herbs to warm and activate the acupuncture point. This is also known as “moxa”.
- Cupping- This is the application of glass cups to create suction on the skin. This will help relieve the blood and the flow of “qi”.
- Herbal medicine- Herbs may be given in a form of pills, teas and capsules to get maximum results from the treatment.